Avery

If you were to ask me who my favorite brewery was, I would tell you Lagunitas with Surly at a close second. There are a lot of great breweries out there and the ones that push the envelope the most in their beers catch my attention a lot easier. That being said, if you were to ask me to pick one brewery, and their beers were the only beers that I could drink the rest of my life, I would say Avery without hesitation. Though I REALLY hope this never happens to me, I can tell you I wouldn't second guess my decision. (Pictured, the approximate amount of money it would take for me to switch to just one brand of beer)

Avery Brewing has a wide variety of beer styles, both common and uncommon and though there are brewers out there who have much more, Avery brews never disappoint and they are always releasing new stuff. They may not shock you with every beer but you can always depend on them to make a solid brew.  Don't know much about them? Well you will know what they have to offer after this post.

Avery's year round six-pack selection of beers consist of their IPA, White Rascal, 14'er ESB, Redpoint, Ellie's Brown, and Out of Bounds Stout. Their IPA is a classic west coast IPA with generous amounts of cascade and centennial hops (along with Columbus and chinook). The Belgian style wheat ale, White Rascal, is unfiltered (yeast on the bottom) and spiced to form a very refreshing brew. 14'er ESB (ESB is an unappreciated style if you ask me) is an easy going session beer, nothing special to it but it's to style and won't disappoint. Redpoint is an amber ale that I am quite fond of. That doesn't seem like much as I usually only talk about beers I enjoy on here but I do not often pick up Amber ales as more often than not, they like any hop character. Redpoint balances malty sweetness with a cascade type hop presence quite well. Ellie's brown is a solid brown, not too sweet, and Out of Bounds Stout is roasty and a little bitter, never a bad thing.

Avery also has three seasonals that they put out in six-packs throughout the year. New World Porter is available from January to April. It is a traditional black porter that the dry hop (for his pleasure?) and is a real treat in the colder months.  Karma (April-September), a Belgian Ale, is fairly light and though I can see what they are trying to do with this beer, I have to say that this is probably my least favorite of the beers they offer. Old Jubilation on the other hand rocks my world, and coming out from September to December, comes out at the perfect time of year for this kind of beer. At 8 % ABV, this English Strong Ale combines five variety of malts to offer a dark toffee taste that is very nice. Besides their lines of "big beers" that I will be talking about down below, Avery also produces a Barrel-Aged series of experimental brews that are "one and done." This means that each beer is brewed, bottled and shipped and they don't plan on making that beer again. The latest in this series at this point is a Wild Ale called Brabant,and I'm looking for it!

Next post, I'll get into the really good Avery beers!

Cheers!

You can never live a perfect day until you do something for someone who will be unable to repay you. ~ John Wooden

Link of the Day
Category:

No comments:

Post a Comment